Mary Ann Franco was left unable to see after a car accident in 1993 that damaged her spine. But after falling over in her home in Florida and hitting her head, her sight has miraculously reappeared.
Speaking to the UK’s Independent, Mary said: “I was fully blind – all I could see was blackness.”
“I was in my living room, going over to the door. My foot caught a tile, and it flipped me. I hit my head in the back, and hit it on something else, maybe the fireplace.”
After the fall, Mary had to wear a neck brace for several months until she could have an operation to repair the damage to her neck.
When she came round from the anaesthetic, she realised her sight had returned.
And after 20 years living as a blind person, Mary could not be happier to have the use of her eyes back.
“In the mornings, I get up, and I look out here and the sun is coming through the trees, and the beams [are] coming down.
“Oh, God, it’s so wonderful to see.”
Doctors now believe that Mary’s car accident may have blocked an artery in her spine, stopping her from seeing. But Neurosugeon John Afshar told ABC
News that the restoration of Mary’s vision “is a true miracle…I really don’t have a scientific explanation for it.”
Suggestions have been made that the artery could have been kinked and the latest surgery may have unkinked it.
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RelationshipsMatty McLean reveals what partner Ryan calls him… and it’s not what you'd think!
Now To LoveYesterday 1:26pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles met Greta Thunberg and revealed why he doesn't want to disappoint his grandchildren
Now To LoveYesterday 12:55pm
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:38am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine speaks out about the isolation she felt when Prince George was a baby
Now To LoveYesterday 9:18am
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020
- TVLaura Daniel joins Seven Sharp team as special correspondent
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020