Thirty years ago, a student at San Franciso University gave birth in her dorm, then abandoned her baby in the laundry room.
But in an amazing twist, that baby has grown up to graduate from the very same university she was deserted at, despite all the obstacles put in her way.
Jillian Sobol, 31, wrote a letter to San Fran’s State President explaining her story.
“Hope is the thing I believe my mother had when she made her choice. I’m here today making my own choices,” she wrote.
“Thirty years later I am here to face the past, complete the circle, and move forward, into the future.”
Graduating on Friday with a Bachelor’s Degree, Jillian told the San Francisco Chronicle that her journey to higher education was not easy, and that she had dyslexia, ADHD and learning disabilities growing up.
And amazingly, Jillian says she forgives her biological mum for giving her up, and that she is grateful she gave her the gift of life.
“That’s a horrible spot to be in for a woman, where the only choice she had was to abandon her child in a box,” Jillian told the Chronicle.
“I’ve faced it by not letting it dictate my life. The love and support I’ve been raised with has allowed me to embrace it and not run from it or be scared by it.”
Speaking of her story, she said: “I believe it to be a story of hope, joy, optimism, family and San Francisco State University.”
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveToday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveToday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveToday 9:48am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 8:30am
- Destinations CitiesTranquil Tahiti: Where the tastes of France, Polynesia and China meet
- CareerHow Kiwi women are using technology to fit their work around their lifestyles
- CareerPlaying his idol in a new miniseries: Mosese Veaila's real-life connection to Jonah Lomu
Woman's DayYesterday 9:55am
- BodyLily McManus' secret battle: Why she hid her hearing loss
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerMeryl Streep on turning 70, her greatest loss and why she's grateful to Jane Fonda
The Australian Women's WeeklyAug 17, 2019
- RoyalsSuits just made a cute reference to Duchess Meghan’s new life as a royal
Now To LoveAug 16, 2019
- RoyalsThe royal family celebrate Princess Anne's 69th birthday
Now To LoveAug 16, 2019
- CareerMeet new Zealand's fastest under-21 female drag racer
Woman's DayAug 16, 2019