A 39-year-old woman from the UK is desperately trying to plan the trip of a lifetime, after being diagnosed with early onset dementia.
Laura Borrell was just 38 when she was told she was suffering from frontotemporal degenerative dementia – a disorder that’s usually found in the over 65s.
Recently married and studying for a law degree at the time of her diagnosis, Laura’s world came crashing down.
To make matters worse, Laura has also been suffering with Lupus, Ehlers-Danlos, APS and other complications as a result of the dementia, with her family saying she “desperately needs a break away to help her feel a bit more positive.”
It’s for this reason that Laura’s friends and family have started a gofundme page, to help Laura plan a trip and build some memories while she still can.
Family members are hopeful they can raise enough cash for Laura to go the US in time for her 40th birthday – and before she loses her ability to lay down memories.
She’d be accompanied by her devoted husband Philip, 41.
Writing on the fundraising page, her mother wrote: “It causes me much distress to see her suffer so much. We'd love to be able to fulfill her wish to go to the USA (she'll be 40 in December 2017) with her husband, hire a RV to have a trip of a lifetime. Any donation would be so gratefully received.”
Laura was sent for tests after she began slurring words, appearing forgetful and failing to recognise the voices of family members.
In a video update on her condition in October, her husband Philip explained that doctors were having trouble finding a treatment for Laura due to her young age.
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyApr 22, 2019
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesApr 22, 2019
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayApr 22, 2019