The screen adaptation will be written by the 2013 Man Booker Prize winner, and will be produced as a six part drama series for the BBC.
The 832-page novel, set in New Zealand during the mid-1800s, tells the tale of a man who sets out to the South Island settlement of Hokitika to try and make his fortune during the gold-rush years. He’s instead drawn into a complex mystery behind a series of unsolved crimes.
The Man Booker Prize judges described it as a “Kiwi Twin Peaks”.
The novelist told the BBC she felt “absurdly lucky” to be working on the project.
"Learning to write for television has been a bit like learning a new musical instrument: The melody is more or less the same, but absolutely everything else is different," she said.
"I'm having enormous fun, learning every day, and just so excited to see the world of the novel created in the flesh.
Her first novel, The Rehersal, was also recently adapted for the screen by fellow New Zealand novelist Emily Perkins. The movie starred acclaimed Boy actor, James Rolleston.
The film debuted this year at the New Zealand International Film Festival and received widespread critical acclaim.
Filming for the new project will begin in 2017 on location in New Zealand.
- RoyalsPrincess Diana’s niece Lady Kitty Spencer is converting to Judaism for her fiancé
Now To LoveToday 10:40am
- CareerSt Matthew-in-the-City's first female vicar Reverend Dr Helen Jacobi lets us into her world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsWhy this adorable photo of Princess Charlotte means so much to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 12:20pm
- FamilySonny Bill Williams pays tribute to wife Alana for holding their family together as he leaves for England
Now To LoveYesterday 11:57am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine gets candid about motherhood: from hypnobirthing to ‘mum guilt’
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ intruder Mike Bullot is Chelsea Winter's former husband
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- TVThe Bachelorette intruders: Meet the men hoping to steal the show
Now To LoveFeb 16, 2020
- Pregnancy & Birth‘I gave birth to our miracle baby the night before my wedding’
Woman's DayFeb 15, 2020