An 80-year-old from America has touched the hearts of thousands around the world, after one woman shared his story.
Kenneth Smith, from Mississippi, has been spending his days by the roadside, selling bags of kindling.
While this might seem normal enough, this is the only way Kenneth has been able to make any extra income – being an elderly man on just social security to survive.
Tragically, two years ago his wife Helen was diagnosed with lung cancer – with her passing away a few weeks ago.
Her cancer battle took all of their income and savings, and has left Kenneth practically penniless.
Local resident Jessica Pittman was galvanised to act, after she spotted Smith taking his hat off for a passing funeral car.
“My heart breaks every time I pass him” Jessica wrote on Facebook.
In the post, that has since been shared 9,000 times, Jessica pleaded with locals to buy a bag of kindling from Kenneth to help him pay off his medical bills.
Instead, people went one step further – donating to the fundraising page set up by Kenneth’s son.
Of the $60,000 goal, almost $45K has been raised – from people all over the world moved by his plight.
Kenneth, who says he’s been overwhelmed with the response, said the efforts to help him have made him think he lives in a good country.
On the Go Fund Me page, Kenneth’s son Leslie writes that his father has been “a hard working man all his life.”
“His wife lost her battle with cancer a few weeks ago and now his income has been cut in half. They spent their life savings during her cancer battle. He is still selling fire wood for extra income but some people have asked if they could help him out so this is the reason I have setup this account for him.”
You can donate to his cause here.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019