The work of a Kiwi tattoo artist, on the breast of a cancer survivor, has stunned the world with its incredible beauty.
Alison Habbal (36), had to have her right nipple removed, as part of a lumpectomy to cut the cancer out. While nipple reconstruction was one option, she chose to cover up the scarring left by the surgery, with a large floral tattoo.
The Sydney mum told the BBC that during the year she was sick, she spent her days trawling the Internet, looking for the perfect artist.
After an extensive search, she settled on Hamilton-based, Makkala Rose, who works with a bold and colourful illustrative style.
The 24-year-old tattoo artist travelled to Melbourne earlier this year, to apply the tattoo in one 13 hour session. Alison described the tattooing process as “blood-curdlingly horrific”.
The end result was posted to social media by Alison, and the response was simply overwhelming. To date, the picture has more than 23,000 likes, and has been reposted multiple times on Instagram.
“Because there’s no nipple”, Alison said, “I can blast it everywhere all over Facebook and Instagram, and they can’t censor it, which I think is really funny.”
Makkala said Alison was an "absolute champion" for sitting through the 13 hour intense session.
"She was pretty clear about the idea that she had, and what she wanted it to look like, but she also gave me a bit of freedom.
"Tattooing a breast is quite different from tattooing a leg or a back. It was a bit challenging to design something that would fit, and work around it.
“It’s quite humbling, and it puts a lot of things into perspective. That made it really cool to be able to do it for her” she told the BBC.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019