Pop superstar Prince, was found dead on Thursday, April 21 at his home in Minnesota.
"It is with profound sadness that I am confirming that the legendary, iconic performer, Prince Rogers Nelson, has died at his Paisley Park residence this morning," his publicist said in a statement.
The legendary singer was just 57.
According to numerous reports the singer was allegedly found unresponsive in an elevator at his home, while TMZ reports he was treated for a drug overdose six days before his death.
The Carver County Sheriff’s Department are investigating the circumstances of his death.
No more details were immediately released.
Prince, whose full name is Prince Rogers Nelson, was reportedly rushed to hospital with flu symptoms just days prior to his death.
TMZ reported that the singer's plane diverted to Quad City International Airport in Moline, Illinois, to make the emergency landing.
The seven-time Grammy award winner was believed to be getting better, however, insiders speaking to TMZ alleged something more sinister was at play and he was in fact being treated for an overdose. Sources tell the site once he arrived at hospital, he was given a "save shot" to help fight an opiate overdose.
According to the shock report, Prince left the hospital just three hours later as there were no private rooms available.
"[Prince] was not doing well," a source observed to TMZ of his deteriorating health following his short hospital stay.
The star's rep is yet to address these latest claims.
Earlier in the week, Prince spoke to fans after being taken ill: "Wait a few days before you waste any prayers," he said.
Famous for songs including Purple Rain and Little Red Corvette the singer performed in New Zealand this year, selling out two Auckland shows in February.
Prince was born in 1958 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The star released his debut album For You in 1978, but it was his 1979 album Prince that went platinum due to the success of the singles Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? and I Wanna Be Your Lover.
Prince sold over 100 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time.
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019