The parents of Lane Graves, who was killed by an alligator in June at Disney World Orlando, have spoken out publicly for the first time.
Matt and Melissa Graves, who have been privately grieving over their lost child, have made a public statement on what would've been the boy's third birthday.
Friends, family and neighbours gathered to celebrate Lane on Saturday, where Melissa gave a heartbreaking speech honouring her baby boy.
“Happy birthday, Laney. Anyone who knows me knows I don’t like to speak, but my baby, I owe it to him to honour him, so his mommy needed to say happy birthday, Laney,” she said while holding back tears.
“You are in our hearts today and every second of every other day. You will always be mummy’s loving, sweet baby boy.
“When we were apart you would tell us ‘I missed you’ as we walked through the door. You would always come running with a big hug and kiss. We miss you buddy and we miss those hugs and kisses. We all love you so very, very much."
Lane’s father Matt also spoke tearfully at the event, where guests were asked to wear blue in Lane’s memory.
"Today Lane would have turned three years old but we celebrate his first birthday in heaven with the community that has surrounded us with love and support. Melissa and I often speak of how lucky we were to have spent two years, 11 months and 11 days as a complete family,” he said.
"My wife would tell you those were the happiest days of her life and I couldn't agree more," he said. "What I'm also confident about is that our faith has lifted us up as we fight every day to find peace.
"We would not have been able to get through the pain without this community, our friends and family and for that we say thank you," he said. "There really is no place like Nebraska. Happy birthday, buddy. We miss you LT."
Lane was snatched by an alligator after stepping into shallow water at Disney’s Seven Seas Lagoon. After teams scoured the area, Lane's body was discovered.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019