Winning the lottery is something most of us only dream about. But still, we often think about how we might spend the winnings - on cars, houses and boats.
We even make vague promises with family or friends to split the jackpot. But more often than not, with losing tickets we never have to make good on such pacts.
One lucky winner found himself in the enviable position of having his Lotto dream come true, bagging $15 million. And in the ultimate gesture, he's honoured a long-standing vow with his best mate to split the winnings.
He's gifting his friend a whopping $7.5 million!
The winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, said he broke the news to his friend over a weekly catch up.
"I really wanted to surprise him, so handed him a photocopy of my winning ticket and the slip of paper with $15 million printed on it. He looked at the paper, then at me with his mouth hanging open, pointing at the piece of paper.
"I just gave him the thumbs up and said 'I won the big one - and half of it's yours!'"
He said his friend could not believe it, repeating "you're joking, you're joking!"
The incredible gift does, however, come with a catch or three.
"When I gave him the $7.5 million I told him there were three conditions - to look after our mates, help the community and that he's paying for a group of our mates to go on our dream holiday."
The generous Lotto winner hasn't stopped at sharing his winnings with his friend. He's also given each of his family members a cheque for $25,000.
"They all opened their envelopes at the same time, then looked at me in surprise and I said, 'Yip, I had the winning ticket'."
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveToday 10:25am
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:22am
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- Diet & NutritionLow calorie and dairy-free ice creams that'll satisfy all your frozen dessert cravings
Now To LoveYesterday 2:30pm
- RoyalsRoyal wedding 2019: The official photos from Lady Gabriella Windsor's wedding have just been released
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- FamilyAmy Schumer is 'mom-shamed' for returning to work two weeks after having her baby
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- BodyFrom losing 100kg to gaining a wife: Auckland man Brad Wheeler's incredible weight-loss journey
Woman's DayYesterday 11:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks pretty in pink at the latest Buckingham Palace Garden Party
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- TVOur top three moments from Dancing With The Stars, week six
Now To LoveMay 21, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw on navigating the first few months of motherhood
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019
- BodyMeet the inspiring Kiwi mum who battled bowel cancer while pregnant
Woman's DayMay 21, 2019