Winning the lottery is something most of us only dream about. But still, we often think about how we might spend the winnings - on cars, houses and boats.
We even make vague promises with family or friends to split the jackpot. But more often than not, with losing tickets we never have to make good on such pacts.
One lucky winner found himself in the enviable position of having his Lotto dream come true, bagging $15 million. And in the ultimate gesture, he's honoured a long-standing vow with his best mate to split the winnings.
He's gifting his friend a whopping $7.5 million!
The winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, said he broke the news to his friend over a weekly catch up.
"I really wanted to surprise him, so handed him a photocopy of my winning ticket and the slip of paper with $15 million printed on it. He looked at the paper, then at me with his mouth hanging open, pointing at the piece of paper.
"I just gave him the thumbs up and said 'I won the big one - and half of it's yours!'"
He said his friend could not believe it, repeating "you're joking, you're joking!"
The incredible gift does, however, come with a catch or three.
"When I gave him the $7.5 million I told him there were three conditions - to look after our mates, help the community and that he's paying for a group of our mates to go on our dream holiday."
The generous Lotto winner hasn't stopped at sharing his winnings with his friend. He's also given each of his family members a cheque for $25,000.
"They all opened their envelopes at the same time, then looked at me in surprise and I said, 'Yip, I had the winning ticket'."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020