September 28 is a special day for Norah Wood. Not only is it her birthday, but it is also the day when she made an unlikely new friend.
Celebrating her fourth birthday with her mum, Tara, the two were in the supermarket in Augusta, Georgia in the U.S. picking up some cupcakes when Norah spotted an elderly man – 82-year-old Dan Petersen.
The spritely pre-schooler stood up in the shopping trolley she was was sitting in and called out: “Hi old person! It’s my birthday today!”
Tara was initially embarrassed until she saw this seemingly expressionless man’s face completely soften.
After some chit-chat between the two strangers, Norah suddenly decided she wanted a photograph with Dan.
“‘You want to take a photo with me?'” he replied, shocked.
“His face lit up,” Tara explains. “He looked like a completely different person.”
But it was what Dan said next, lips were quivering, that brought Tara to tears.
“‘Miss Norah, you made me the happiest I’ve been in a long time'.”
Later that day, Tara posted the happy snaps to her own Facebook page. Then, soon after, a woman who knows Dan reached out to her.
“[The woman] said when [Dan's] wife died back in March, he sunk into a depression,” Tara remembers.
“She said, 'That’s the first time I’ve seen that man smile since his wife died.'”
Tara was able to get Dan’s phone number and dialled him straight away.
When he answered, Tara says, “He just burst into tears.”
“He said, ‘I haven’t stopped thinking about that little girl. She just inspired me.'”
Tara and Norah then invited Dan out to lunch, and, upon dropping him home, the three got chatting.
“He had been so lonely,” Tara says.
“He’s had a fascinating life. He’s had some tragedy in his life. He was just so grateful to have someone listen to him.”
“The whole time, Norah was just curled up in his lap like she’s known him forever.”
Tara and Norah visit Dan regularly; Norah even helped Dan celebrate his 82nd birthday just last week.
It’s stories like these that remind you just how important love and kindness truly are…
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayToday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayYesterday 10:55am
- RoyalsPlastic surgery clinic slammed for misusing Kate Middleton's face to promote face lift
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine wore this special brooch on Remembrance Sunday for a very touching reason
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a set of pearls thanks to Michael Hill Jewellers
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- RelationshipsWestside actress Jessica Grace Smith's romantic beachside proposal
Woman's DayNov 10, 2019
- MindWhy saying 'yes' to stress can actually benefit us
Good Health ChoicesNov 09, 2019
- BodyRenee Wright: Why I'm prioritising my health this summer
NEXTNov 09, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Charles shakes hands with trees after he plants them to 'wish them well'
Now To LoveNov 08, 2019