Working as a professional photographer is child’s play for 13-year-old Rose McMahon. When most girls her age are doing chores to earn pocket money, Rose is making a name for herself in the Tauranga area as a talented and sought-after snapper.
“After finding out when I was three years old that I couldn’t be a giraffe when I grew up, I announced I wanted to tell stories – and I found that I could do that through photography,” the youngster explains.
The talented artist was only 11 when she became serious about photography. But when she discovered how expensive a high-quality camera was, she cried herself to sleep. Determined to fulfil her goal, the next morning she found the camera she wanted online for $3000 and used her negotiation skills to nab a bargain.
“The owner felt for me, because he was also my age when he started out as a photographer, so he sold me the camera for $559. That was all my savings from my birthday and Christmas money, and it was worth every penny.”
At first, the animal lover offered to take photos for local businesses for free. But when the quality of the pictures showed she had a natural talent, people started hiring her for professional shoots. A few were dismissive of Rose because of her age, but the youngster quickly proved she really had the goods.
“It taught me that I had to believe in myself if I wanted to get ahead,” she tells.
For the past two years, Rose has shot portraits and products for big companies. She was a stills photographer for the film The Z-Nail Gang and recently shot her very first wedding.
“The best part is seeing people’s faces when they look at their pictures for the first time. That makes me feel good.”
Rose’s father Alistair says he and wife Su-an are very proud of their teenage daughter.
“She’s learning all the technical aspects of photography, but still likes to experiment,” he says.
Rose, who is homeschooled, uses the money she earns to buy camera gear and hopes to be a filmmaker when she grows up. But for now, she loves her job.
“Sometimes I do get terrified before a shoot, but I know I have to deliver, and that always sees me through.”
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Married at First SightIs MAFS' Mike Gunner running his own fan page? The signs are compelling!
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019
- BodyWhat it's like one year on from weight-loss surgery
Now To LoveFeb 12, 2019