A mum who was addicted to heroin has posted an incredible transformation picture online to show others that “recovery is possible”.
The 24 year-old woman uploaded two images – one of herself in the midst of her addiction, and another one now, two years later.
Posting on Reddit, she wrote: “Here is what 826 days sober looks like. Left is me June 11th 2014, on the right is me today. Recovery is possible!”
The woman looks a picture of health now – gone is her lank hair and blotchy skin, and she’s now proudly showing off brighter eyes and a glowing complexion.
Explaining her story in some of the comments, the former addict explained that it began when she went to jail for 36 days under a contempt charge. At the time, she was in an abusive relationship, and her daughter went to live with her mother, which affected her morale.
“She [my daughter] is my whole world, so when that happened I fell into a deep depression and leaned to my abusive boyfriend for emotional support. His answer to make me feel better was heroin. After 8 months of daily use and a half-assed attempt at getting clean, I told the judge preceding over the guardianship case of my daughter that I had been using and needed help.”
She went on to explain that the judge found her a bed in the best rehab in the state, and adds that it was an uphill battle to finally get clean.
Her post now has nearly 4000 comments from people who have been inspired by her story, and the former addict has written about how overwhelmed she feels to have had such a response.
She is now living with her daughter again, who she describes as “very happy”.
“I have finally gotten to a point where it all seems like it was a bad dream. It's taken a lot of hard work and a lot of discipline,” she said
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Married at First SightIs MAFS' Mike Gunner running his own fan page? The signs are compelling!
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019
- BodyWhat it's like one year on from weight-loss surgery
Now To LoveFeb 12, 2019