Aaliyah and Ben Armstrong’s emotionally charged wedding haka captivated the world, but the down-to-earth pair are still surprised at the overwhelming reaction it’s received!
The video of the powerful moment, which showed Aaliyah moved to tears by the spontaneous haka, picked up steam when it was posted online and was later picked up by media outlets all over the world.
“At last count, our videographers estimated 200 million people have seen it,” Ben reveals.
“We’ve had so many lovely messages and we’re grateful that it touched so many lives.”
The couple, who both have Maori ancestry, say the haka is not just a war dance.
"It's a way to show love, respect and support," Ben says.
Ben's eldest brother, Joel, stepped up to lead the haka during the couple's reception and it wasn't long before Ben and Aaliyah joined in.
The unique wedding moment caps off a fairytale romance for the couple, who say their relationship is built on a rock-steady foundation of love, mutual respect and shared values.
Read our full interview with Aaliyah and Ben in this week’s Woman’s Day, on sale now.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019