Brave schoolgirl Tania-Rose Turner-Graham, who survived a terrifying 46-hour ordeal at sea with her father off Great Barrier Island in April, has revealed she feared she wouldn't make it.
"I was planning my funeral in my head," the Rotorua 17-year-old tells Woman's Day in an exclusive interview.
Still traumatised by the ordeal, Tania-Rose has described the harrowing weekend spent on board the crippled vessel with her father Michael Graham, 41, after they lost all power during a fishing trip off Great Barrier – and then the weather turned into a storm.
The Year 13 pupil recounts facing seven-metre high waves as she pushed against the side of the small wooden fishing boat to stop it from rolling. The conditions were so rough that rescuers sent to look for the missing duo were forced to turn back.
"I had to use all my body strength to try and not make us flip," says the courageous teen.
Despite nearly capsizing at least six times, the resilience of Tania-Rose and her father – an experienced seaman with an army background – saw them survive horrendous conditions against all odds.
Tania-Rose also spoke of the overwhelming relief after setting sail when they were spotted by the police helicopter drifting north of Waiheke Island, saying tears started streaming down her face.
"I was so happy I was crying. I was saying 'We're safe'."
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayToday 8:10am
- BodyWhat form of yoga is best for you? Here are six of the most popular
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerThe near-death experience that led Wicken jewellery creator Kim McKay to become a good witch
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyChristmas with the stars: How Miriama Kamo will be spending the holidays
Woman's DayYesterday 7:55am
- BodyEating soluble fibre more could be a game-changer for those living with asthma
Good Health ChoicesDec 07, 2019
- BodyGemma McCaw's 5 rookie mistakes to avoid when working out
Woman's DayDec 07, 2019
- BodyEarly bird or night owl? What your sleep patterns say about you
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 07, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveDec 06, 2019
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayDec 05, 2019
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveDec 05, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveDec 05, 2019
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 05, 2019