Brave schoolgirl Tania-Rose Turner-Graham, who survived a terrifying 46-hour ordeal at sea with her father off Great Barrier Island in April, has revealed she feared she wouldn't make it.
"I was planning my funeral in my head," the Rotorua 17-year-old tells Woman's Day in an exclusive interview.
Still traumatised by the ordeal, Tania-Rose has described the harrowing weekend spent on board the crippled vessel with her father Michael Graham, 41, after they lost all power during a fishing trip off Great Barrier – and then the weather turned into a storm.
The Year 13 pupil recounts facing seven-metre high waves as she pushed against the side of the small wooden fishing boat to stop it from rolling. The conditions were so rough that rescuers sent to look for the missing duo were forced to turn back.
"I had to use all my body strength to try and not make us flip," says the courageous teen.
Despite nearly capsizing at least six times, the resilience of Tania-Rose and her father – an experienced seaman with an army background – saw them survive horrendous conditions against all odds.
Tania-Rose also spoke of the overwhelming relief after setting sail when they were spotted by the police helicopter drifting north of Waiheke Island, saying tears started streaming down her face.
"I was so happy I was crying. I was saying 'We're safe'."
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020