Ben Millar, 22, was waiting on a man called Jeffrey last weekend, when the two began discussing Ireland – where Ben is from.
Jeffrey said he often visited Ireland, and Ben agreed that he wished he could go back more often.
During their chat, the 22-year-old revealed he hadn’t seen his family back home for more than two years.
Living on a waiter’s wage and with a pregnant girlfriend, Ben just couldn’t afford to regularly fly back to see family and friends.
And that’s when Jeffrey did something amazing.
Upon leaving the restaurant, the diner left a $750 US dollar tip, along with the note: “Hopefully this can get you back to Ireland for the holidays.”
Speaking to ABC news, Ben said he was shocked and humbled by the gesture.
“I also hope I can reach out to Jeffrey so he knows how much I appreciate it,” Mr Millar told press.
“It means a lot to me, but more to my family back home who will benefit from seeing me again since almost two years.”
Ben now plans to wait until his baby is born, when he will fly his girlfriend and child over to Belfast to meet his family for the first time.
He also extended an invitation to the elusive Jeffrey, telling him if he came over at the same time, Ben would show him the “true Northern Ireland, not just the tourist aspect.”
Ben’s girlfriend Taryn shared the note to her Facebook page, saying: “to show everyone that there’s not only hate out there. Truly blessed.”
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019