Local News

Boy suffocates after day care teacher accidentally sat on bean bag he was under

A toddler has died of suffocation after his day care teacher accidentally sat on him while he was under a bean bag.

Saturday should have been Leo Sanchez’s second birthday, but instead of a party his parents will hold his funeral.

In a tragic incident the one-year-old toddler died of suffocation after his day care teacher accidentally sat on him while he was under a bean bag.

Police say Leonardo “Leo” Sanchez, from Utah in the US, was killed when a worker from the West Jordan Child Center sat down to read a story to the other children, unawares Leo was trapped the bean bag they were on, reports PEOPLE.

Danielle and Dan Sanchez.

The boy’s distraught mother, Danielle Sanchez, has spoken out about the incident and alleges that something more must have happened.

“In my mind, my child is under your care. He suffocated under a bean bag. How does a two-year-old, not even two yet, how does he get stuck under a bean bag? Something happened. I don’t know what,” she told KSTU-TV.

She added: “It just baffles me, makes me wonder. She must not have felt him, she must not have heard him”.

The day care facility where the boy died has issued a statement that reads: “We regret deeply the tragic death of a young toddler at our day care facility. No words adequately describe the depth of the sorrow we feel”.

The Sanchez family told Fox 13 they plan to hold Leo’s funeral on September 17.

Related stories


Get your favourite magazines home delivered!  

Subscribe and save up to 38% on a magazine subscription.