A very happy Northland couple have become $8.3 million richer after winning Wednesday's Lotto Powerball prize.
The couple, who wished not to be named, told the Herald that they were in disbelief upon hearing the news.
The couple were aware someone in the local area had won, however they figured it had already been claimed by someone else.
The wife had purchased the ticket online and it wasn't until she checked the My Lotto NZ App, that she realised they had won.
"I really thought I must be seeing things and when my husband looked at the ticket didn't believe it either. We just couldn't get our heads around it," the woman told the Herald.
The couple said the news really hit them when they received a call from Lotto's head office.
"When the lady on the other end said that she was calling from Lotto, the reality of it all hit me – I wasn't dreaming! It was a huge rush of emotion," the woman said.
Maybe it does pay to buy those tickets!
- CompetitionsWin a Limited Edition Sacred Hill Copper Foil Print
Good Health ChoicesToday 5:00pm
- BodyCould a weighted blanket help you stress less and sleep better?
Now To LoveToday 4:15pm
- CareerWhat Kiwi actress Ginette McDonald really thinks of her daughter Kate McGill following in her footsteps
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry’s reaction to this boy not believing he’s a real royal is seriously priceless
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- FamilyHow art therapy helped us cope with the grief of losing their dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:04am
- Real LifeThe question that caused Jacinda Ardern to falter during her visit to Cashmere High School
Now To LoveYesterday 4:39pm
- FitnessThe reasons why you should also be foam rolling before you work out
Now To LoveYesterday 4:30pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine has made her first ever solo public appearance with The Queen
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Sam Wallace and his adorable new obsession - baby Brando
Woman's DayYesterday 1:50pm
- FamilyEight ways to get your kids off their screens and out into nature
Now To LoveYesterday 11:43am