Former Deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett has revealed publicly that she has undergone gastric bypass surgery.
Bennett posted to her Facebook page to declare the news.
"Hi. As per the Herald article, I have gone public with my decision to have weightloss surgery. I had a gastric by pass and am at the beginning of what I plan to be a much healthier active life. After years of weight gain and loss I can see a clear path ahead," the post read.
"I feel great, paid for it myself and thought long and hard about whether to go public. On one hand it's no ones business but mine but as a woman who has battled with my weight all my adult life I didn't want the innuendo and I wanted to be upfront with others who struggle about the choice I made."
"I had hoped for an inch about it in the gossip page (as it is gossip not news!) but they have run it bigger - I guess that's public life! The best reason for going public is I feel great about my decision and don't care what others think."
"So haters can hate - I'll just keep ignoring them and do the best I can both personally and professionally."
A gastric bypass surgery consists of majority of the stomach and a small portion of the intestine being disconnected from the passage of food.
Bennett is not the only politician to undergo this surgery, former Prime Minister's Dame Jenny Shipley and David Lange have also undergone types of gastric surgery.
Ex MP Dame Tariana Turia, also got her stomach stapled back in 2010.
According to Stuff, Bennett is recovering well.
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019