Former Deputy Prime Minister Paula Bennett has revealed publicly that she has undergone gastric bypass surgery.
Bennett posted to her Facebook page to declare the news.
"Hi. As per the Herald article, I have gone public with my decision to have weightloss surgery. I had a gastric by pass and am at the beginning of what I plan to be a much healthier active life. After years of weight gain and loss I can see a clear path ahead," the post read.
"I feel great, paid for it myself and thought long and hard about whether to go public. On one hand it's no ones business but mine but as a woman who has battled with my weight all my adult life I didn't want the innuendo and I wanted to be upfront with others who struggle about the choice I made."
"I had hoped for an inch about it in the gossip page (as it is gossip not news!) but they have run it bigger - I guess that's public life! The best reason for going public is I feel great about my decision and don't care what others think."
"So haters can hate - I'll just keep ignoring them and do the best I can both personally and professionally."
A gastric bypass surgery consists of majority of the stomach and a small portion of the intestine being disconnected from the passage of food.
Bennett is not the only politician to undergo this surgery, former Prime Minister's Dame Jenny Shipley and David Lange have also undergone types of gastric surgery.
Ex MP Dame Tariana Turia, also got her stomach stapled back in 2010.
According to Stuff, Bennett is recovering well.
- CompetitionsWin one of five prize packs from Arnott’s worth $100
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:00am
- CareerTech-savvy granny: Meet Val, a social media queen at 90
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveYesterday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayYesterday 7:45am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DaySep 16, 2019