Three students have been expelled from an Auckland school after assaulting a boy during a sports tournament.
It’s understood the alleged physical assault of the young team member took place as part of an initiation ritual.
By definition hazing is the practice of putting someone in physical or emotional distress as a way of initiating them into a group.
The incident, which involved the boy being burnt by an iron by older students, took place at a hotel where the team were staying, and stopped the boy from being able to compete for a day, NZME reports.
Yesterday, the Ministry of Education confirmed three boys over the age of 16 had been expelled.
"We have been notified by the school that three students were expelled for physical assault,” said Ministry of Education spokesperson, Katrina Casey.
The school, which was not named in NZME's report, also confirmed the students were expelled for their actions.
A statement from the school’s board chair noted there would be no further action taken by the injured boy’s family, as the student was a friend of the three who were expelled.
“Our priority, first and foremost, is the wellbeing of our students and their families. The college sets high standards and strives to develop successful, well-grounded students.
"This incident is distressing and disappointing, but it is important to respect the privacy of the students involved. We will not be making any further comment."
Although police say they haven’t been contacted in relation to this incident, a police spokeswoman says it always “encourages anyone who may have been the victim of a crime to speak to their local police.”
- RoyalsThe Cambridges are set to visit Ireland as the Sussexes return to the UK
Now To LoveToday 3:00pm
- PetsIt's getting hot in here: Expert advice on caring for your pet over summer
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight Australia 2019 stars: Where are they now?
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerWhy Judy Bailey's latest project had everyone thinking she was getting inked
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:40am
- CareerWhy Laura Dern deserves every acting award she gets!
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:31am
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight bride Poppy Jennings' unexpected exit: what really went on
Now To LoveYesterday 8:55pm
- RoyalsPrince William reveals the unexpected activity the Cambridge children tried over the school break
Now To LoveYesterday 3:35pm
- BodyThis Kiwi mum lost a staggering 65kg in a year but says she will always miss her old size
Woman's DayYesterday 2:15pm
- RoyalsThe internet thinks The Sussexes just made a subtle dig at Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
Now To LoveYesterday 12:50pm
- BodyWhy acupuncture could be the pathway to a healthier body and menstrual cycle
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:40am
- TVChelsea Winter's former husband Michael Bullot opens up about kids and marriage
Now To LoveFeb 23, 2020
- FamilyArt and Matilda Green open up about becoming parents and why they're keeping it real on social media
Good Health ChoicesFeb 23, 2020
- MindDo you have FOBO? Why the fear of better options could be fuel for anxiety
Good Health ChoicesFeb 22, 2020
- FamilyA mum's worst nightmare: 'I saw my son floating lifeless'
Woman's DayFeb 22, 2020