A tearful Bill English has announced that he is stepping down as leader of the National Party and leaving Parliament.
Surrounded by his wife and some of his children at Parliament, he announced today that his resignation would take place at the end of February.
English, 56, said he was proud of his work in health, rebuilding the economy after the global financial crisis and helping rebuild Christchurch.
"I want to thank those many people who voted for us in the 2017 election and particularly for the broad public support since the change of government."
He thanked his family for their support.
Taking a moment to wipe his tears, he said his wife Mary and their children, Xavier, Bart, Rory, Luke, Maria and Thomas had a huge part to play in his success.
"Through all that time together as a family we have lived with the demands of public service. Your strength and tolerance has enabled my career. I now look forward to our new life together."
English became Prime Minister after John Key stepped down as National Party leader ahead of the 2017 election. Although National received the highest party vote in the election they did not receive enough to govern alone.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern acknowledged the contribution Bill English had made to politics and sent him her best wishes.
The National Party will now go through a process to elect a new party leader.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019