Did you hear the one about the two Australian game show contestants who blew their chance of winning $520,000 because they didn’t know the answer to a very easy question about New Zealand?
The punchline is, it’s not even a joke!
During Tuesday night's episode of The Wall on Australia's TV network Channel Seven, husband-and-wife team Jess and Lee had $520,000 in potential winnings drop to $0 when Lee locked in 'Christchurch' in answer to the question, ‘What is the capital of New Zealand?’
The segment required the couple to be separated, with Lee shut away in a sound-proof booth and in charge of answering the question.
It was like watching a mortifying comedy of errors unfold with Lee clearly unsure from the get-go.
“This is probably one I should know,” he announced as Jess grimaced in frustration…
“I should know that as well, we should both know this,” she empathised – although Lee couldn’t hear her.
“I’m leaning towards Christchurch at this stage,” Lee divulged. Then he flipped to Auckland…
“Which one sounds right?" he agonised.
Even the correct answer left his lips but by this point Jess was convinced the answer was 'A for Auckland' and was shouting at Lee who still couldn't hear her.
Lee locked in Christchurch and it was all over.
While the couple went on to regain $175,000 in winnings it’s not quite the same. It did make us wonder how we would fare in a quiz about New Zealand though.
Test yourself out here:
- BodyHayley Holt opens up about how sobriety has positively affected her life and made her braver and stronger
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- CareerMean Mums' Anna Jullienne: What she's learned about raising boys, and other fun facts
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019