If Jacinda Ardern can make it to the top, you can too!
The incredible news of her appointment to Prime Minister had barely sunk in, when the passionate 37-year-old from Morrinsville spoke to Woman’s Day, just 12 hours after her amazing victory. In her candid interview, our new PM – whose fate was decided last Thursday night when New Zealand First leader Winston Peters made his much-anticipated decision to join with Labour and the Greens in coalition – spoke of her excitement and honour to lead our nation, her determination to make a real difference and what the top job means for her and her partner, TV presenter Clarke Gayford.
But Jacinda had another important message to share with New Zealanders – dream big!
This year, in the space of a few short months, the passionate politician – whose sole reason for joining the Labour Party at 17 was to tackle child poverty – has risen from list MP to leader of the Labour party, and now Prime Minister of New Zealand.
“If this doesn’t prove that anything’s possible then I don’t know what does,” says Jacinda.
“I’m the daughter of a policeman from Morrinsville. After my sister, I’m only the second one in my family to go to university. The idea that at 37 I would have been in the position to be Prime Minister, it’s just not something I ever would have imagined and I feel very privileged.”
For more of her inspiring story, check out this week’s issue Woman’s Day cover story, on sale now.
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayToday 3:15pm
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsThe caring gesture that no one saw: How Duchess Catherine consoled Duchess Meghan at Wimbledon
Now To LoveYesterday 10:06am
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayYesterday 10:00am
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- TVHayley Holt reveals who her dream co-host would be and dishes on how work has affected her dating life
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayJul 16, 2019