Helen Clark, the former New Zealand Prime minister colloquially known to a generation of Kiwis as ‘Aunty Helen’, has told The Australian Women’s Weekly why she believes she is the best woman for the job as UN Secretary-General.
“We live in a troubled world with huge inequalities," she says. “There is discrimination and marginalism, there is a lot of conflict.
“My argument has been, with the world the mess is in, you need someone with a leader profile who can really take the organisation forward.”
Story continues after the video
And Helen might just be the right woman for the job. She’s already the number three ranked bureaucrat at the United Nations with an impressive track record as the Administrator of the UN Development Programme tacking poverty and sustainability world-wide.
While she is widely acknowledged as one the front runners for the job, to be decided in October, some believe it should go to a leader from Eastern Europe.
She declined to comment her own chances of success. “I’m acknowledged as a very serious candidate, but in the end, this is about geopolitics,” she says.
You can read Helen Clark's full interview in the September issue of The Australian Women’s Weekly, on sale now
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayToday 8:10am
- BodyWhat form of yoga is best for you? Here are six of the most popular
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- CareerThe near-death experience that led Wicken jewellery creator Kim McKay to become a good witch
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- FamilyChristmas with the stars: How Miriama Kamo will be spending the holidays
Woman's DayToday 7:55am
- BodyEating soluble fibre more could be a game-changer for those living with asthma
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- BodyGemma McCaw's 5 rookie mistakes to avoid when working out
Woman's DayYesterday 10:00am
- BodyEarly bird or night owl? What your sleep patterns say about you
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveDec 06, 2019
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayDec 05, 2019
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveDec 05, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveDec 05, 2019
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 05, 2019