18-year-old climate change activist Gwyneth Parallag has voiced a video timed around International Women's Day celebrations, calling for more attention to be paid to the planet.
Parallag, who has recently made headlines as the organiser of the Auckland School Strike 4 Climate Protest which is taking place this Friday in Auckland's Aotea square and in more than 20 towns and cities around the country, says now is the time to take action, even if it means being controversial in doing it.
"If we don't take care of her (Mother Earth) first, every bit of painstaking work we've put into gender equality, and all of hard earned progress we've already made will amount to nothing," she says in the voice over.
The video was put together by Kiwi sustainable brand ecostore to remind Kiwis of the importance of caring for the planet.
"In a world where nearly every product and service has become a commodity, consumers now differentiate between things based on what they believe in," says ecostore managing director, Pablo Kraus. "As a company we're hugely inspired by the next generation and their commitment to the planet,"
"We want to empower people to save the planet and inspire them to make a change. We all know it is time to step up and International Women's Day is the perfect reminder that we're just getting started and Mother Earth needs our help and attention today."
Parallag says that now is the time to take action: "There comes a time that being controversial is needed in order to get the grown-ups to stop, listen and take us seriously.
"Having ecostore come out with this video on International Women's Day is significant. I hope that people of all ages realise the time is now to make a change. We need to do this together, because together we can make a safer world."
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am