He became an international viral sensation as Jacinda Ardern's hot, hipster-bearded bodyguard during the election campaign – and diplomatic protection officer Iain McKay made headlines once again when it was revealed he was dating TVNZ star Jessica Mutch.
Now Woman's Day can reveal the super-cute couple are engaged to be married!
Iain, 31, popped the question at Auckland restaurant The Sugar Club, at the top of the Sky Tower, surprising 1 News reporter and Q+A presenter Jessica, 33, with a cake iced with the words, "Will you marry me?"
"I don't typically get very nervous," he reveals. "But I was a bit of a wreck that night as there were so many people around. But when it happened, everyone else disappeared and we were in our own little bubble."
The pair knew each other from when Jessica was working as a political reporter in Wellington but only started talking while she was in London as TVNZ's Europe correspondent. They quickly formed a strong bond via Skype and enjoyed their first date in Paris in 2015.
Jessica confesses "As I'm talking about it now, it sounds so crazy, but at the time, it just felt romantic and right."
For their full love story, all the details of their engagement and gorgeous pictures of the couple, see the latest issue of Woman's Day magazine.
- Food & DrinksRoast racks of venison with blueberry balsamic sauce
Now To LoveDec 03, 2021
- RoyalsPlaydates with Charlotte and a royal christening prove the Queen is on the mend
Now To LoveNov 29, 2021
- TVHow winning The Block has changed Tim and Arty's lives forever
Woman's DayNov 25, 2021
- At homeBring summer into your home with this colour pallette
Now To LoveNov 25, 2021
- RoyalsAre Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank planning baby number two already?
Woman's DayNov 23, 2021
- RoyalsThe Queen’s special appearance for two of her great-grandsons after weeks of health concerns
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 23, 2021