Typically the trickiest thing about selecting your bridesmaid is which friends to include - picking the right (or wrong) mate can be an absolute minefield.
Then you got your Bridezillas - the women who make their bridal party pay for their wedding dress (yes, that really happened) and the people who make their bridal party pay and in a competitive auction for a place as a bridesmaid in a wedding party.
This is what happened to one bridal party, and the whole situation is just as appalling as it sounds.
Reddit user Sisterbridesmaid shared the unique wedding horror story online this week, opening up about her "shallow and spoiled sister," to the horror of thousands of enthralled readers.
Sisterbridesmaid explained that though the wedding was only a month away her sister is yet to select her bridesmaids.
"She still hasn't chosen her bridesmaids. Instead, she has sent out dozens of … invitations, to various girls. It's an invite to attend and participate in a bidding auction: on the six spots in her bridal party.
"Whichever six of all these chicks bid the most will be the bridesmaids," The Reddit user said.
And when she says bid she means bid, with actual money.
"There's also an auction for being her maid of honor."
Though she later states her sister and her fiance are "well off" and not struggling for money, Sisterbridesmaid explains that the bride and groom will be using the money to fund the wedding and honeymoon.
The bride apparently justified this by saying, "well if they'll already be bidding we figure we should put their money towards a great event for everyone".
SisterBridesmaid said she would not be RSVPing to the "tacky" auction or to the wedding itself. She later went on to reveal her mother is on the bride's side.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019