When Bindi Irwin marries the love of her life, Chandler Powell, the absence of her late father, passionate conservationist Steve Irwin, will be keenly felt by the family.
It was Steve who, undoubtedly, would have proudly walked his daughter down the aisle - would Bindi ask someone else to fill those very big shoes?'
As it turns out, we have not had to wait long for that question to be answered. Bindi has revealed that in the place of her late father her younger brother Robert, 15, will walk her down the aisle.
Bindi shared the news in a heartfelt message on social media, saying: "Dad, You would be so incredibly proud of Robert. He has been such an amazing support during this beautiful new life chapter.
"I know you'd be beaming with pride when the time comes that he walks me down the aisle. I wish you could be here for these moments, but I know that your spirit lives on in us ❤️"
Chandler proposed to Bindi on her 21st birthday on July 24th - popping the question at Australia Zoo where the couple first met six years ago, and where Bindi's parents Steve and Terri Irwin also met before them.
Bindi shared the news in an emotional post on social media, saying, "July 24th 2019 ❤️ On my birthday I said 'yes' and 'forever' to the love of my life.
"Chandler, close to 6 years ago I fell in love with you and every day since has been a whirlwind of adventure and true happiness. I'm so looking forwarding to spending our forever together as your wife. Here's to a lifetime of friendship, purpose and unconditional love. — Now let's get married already!"
We also found out that Robert had a big part to play in the couple's engagement, helping Chandler plan the special moment and then waiting, concealed in the garden with his camera, to capture the entire proposal on film.
Bindi said she "never even knew Robert was there photographing".
"I'll always be grateful to have these special memories of the most amazing day of my life."
Robert, Bindi and their mother Terri Irwin have remained incredibly close since the tragic loss of their father and husband. Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray in 2006 and the trio has worked tirelessly to continue his legacy.
Bindi told The Australian Women's Weekly in 2017 that she felt that her father would have wholeheartedly approved of Chandler.
"We all think Dad would have loved Chandler," she said.
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020