We’ve all felt that spark before. When you meet someone you just know you’ve got a great connection with. Sure, it doesn’t always lead to love but in those first moments, you know it’s ‘something’.
Well, apparently it extends not only to potential lovers, but to friends too!
Kelly Campbell, a psychology professor at California State University, San Bernardino, says we form a compilation of several judgments about that person and whether they’ll be a good friend to you. “When you first see the person, you don’t realise how many judgments you’re making, but you’re actually gathering information that’s telling you if this person fills those needs for you,” she says.
Campbell also headed up a study in The Social Science Journal on “friendship chemistry.”
She defined it as “an instant connection between friends that is easy and makes the relationship seem natural.”
It found the feeling wasn’t always mutual (awkward!), and those who said they’d experienced it were more likely to be highly agreeable and open.
The study also found it was more likely to happen with female participants, perhaps because women are seen to be more in tune with their emotions.
WATCH: The funniest Friends blooper ever
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am