We’ve all felt that spark before. When you meet someone you just know you’ve got a great connection with. Sure, it doesn’t always lead to love but in those first moments, you know it’s ‘something’.
Well, apparently it extends not only to potential lovers, but to friends too!
Kelly Campbell, a psychology professor at California State University, San Bernardino, says we form a compilation of several judgments about that person and whether they’ll be a good friend to you. “When you first see the person, you don’t realise how many judgments you’re making, but you’re actually gathering information that’s telling you if this person fills those needs for you,” she says.
Campbell also headed up a study in The Social Science Journal on “friendship chemistry.”
She defined it as “an instant connection between friends that is easy and makes the relationship seem natural.”
It found the feeling wasn’t always mutual (awkward!), and those who said they’d experienced it were more likely to be highly agreeable and open.
The study also found it was more likely to happen with female participants, perhaps because women are seen to be more in tune with their emotions.
WATCH: The funniest Friends blooper ever
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019
- TVMatt Chisholm is leaving TVNZ to ''farm children, rocks and rabbits'' in Otago
Now To LoveSep 13, 2019