It may sound very 'millenial' to say this, but sharing a good texting rhythm with your partner can make for a happier relationship.
If you text 'I love you' and they reply, 'What's for dinner?', for example, the rhythm would clearly be jarred - with you left wondering whether they received your text, or were ignoring your expression of affection - and why would they be ignoring it? Cue, overthinking your relationship and obsessing over the reasons behind said text.
You may happily overlook the occasional blunt text response - they could be in the middle of doing something when you text - but generally speaking, if you send a heart emoji or an 'x' you'd expect a heart emoji or an 'x' back...
Sending and receiving similar expressions of affection - no matter the format - help make you feel like you're on the same page, right? Right.
And now there is research to prove it.
In a survey conduced by psychologists at Pace University in New York, 205 people – all of whom were in relationships and aged between 18 and 29 –answered questions about their texting routines, such as the frequency of initiation and using texts to 'express affection' or 'bring up an issue that's hard to bring up in person'.
The results showed that those who felt their partner's texting habits mirrored their own reported greater overall relationship satisfaction than those who didn't.
"Findings highlight the importance of perceived similarity between romantic partners regarding texting behaviours for their level of satisfaction, even when taking into account the robust predictors of attachment anxiety and avoidance," reported the study, published in Computers in Human Behaviour.
Further research is needed before any definitive conclusions are reached, because most of the study's participants were women – 74 per cent to be precise. Whether surveying a majority of men would lead to similar results remains to be seen.
Nevertheless, this still highlights the importance of written communication between lovers. So if you and your partner are the heart emoji/miss you/what you up to? types... keep on!
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019