Getting married can be one of the biggest and most important days of your life. But apparently there’s one key sign that could pre-empt whether or not you and your significant other will stay together.
While infidelity, finances, lack of intimacy and miscommunication have all previously been deemed the most common reasons that relationships don’t work out, experts are now warning that the biggest threat to a marriage is something else entirely.
Relationship expert Derek Harvey reveals that after seeing this crop up again and again over the last six years, he believes it’s the biggest indicator that your relationship might not make it.
Can you guess what it is?
According to Harvey, it’s something we’ve all been guilty of in romantic relationships at some point in our lives – unmet expectations.
Derek spoke to Inspire More, and explained: “I have seen the pain and frustration that plays out from having unmet expectations, not just in marriage, but in all relationships.
“It’s a deadly venom that flows to the heart and wreaks havoc in relationships.”
Backing up his conclusion, another relationship coach James Preece told The Independent: “Unmet expectations are a huge relationship killer.
“People tend to enter marriages or long-term relationships expecting the other person to change their ways.
“They think that over time they’ll be able to mould them into someone else. This only leads to disappointment and anger.”
He suggests that if a couple really wants to make a go of things and leave these unmet expectations at the door, the best course of action is to simply try and accept your partner for who they are.
“The best way to handle unmet expectations is simply to work as a team,” he says.
“Set goals together and work towards them. Not only is that more fun, but you are much more likely to achieve them when someone is spurring you on.”
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi welcome their first child, a baby girl
Now To LoveSep 21, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Tegan Yorwarth's message to internet trolls
Woman's DaySep 20, 2021
- TVBlack Ferns star Huriana Manuel's Olympic heartbreak
Woman's DaySep 15, 2021
- TVProud Dad Art Green: 'My little girl is just so special'
Woman's DaySep 13, 2021
- Celebrity NewsAngela Bloomfield's tears and fears: 'I haven't given up on love!'
Woman's DaySep 07, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJoe Naufahu's heartbreak: 'I'm doing this for Mum'
Woman's DaySep 06, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi parents nightmare: 'Our son should still be here'
Woman's DaySep 03, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi Paralympic kayaker Corbin Hart's unstoppable romance
Woman's DayAug 28, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island hosts Bree Tomasel and Matt Chisholm's special bond
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021
- Real LifeTVNZ reporter Michelle Prendiville opens up about her alopecia
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021