After growing up in the glare of the media spotlight and having to farewell two significant men in her life, Millie Elder-Holmes has turned 30 and found her "happy place" in Greece.
In an interview with NEXT magazine, from her new home in picture-perfect Santorini, Millie has opened up about her new phase, finding love again and reflecting on her very public past.
"In Greece, no one knows who I am," she says. "I can go out and have a coffee, I can go for a swim at the beach. I just feel so free".
A place of special memories and family, Greece has always been somewhere Millie has romanticised – her biological father lives here in the village of Molyvos, and she would holiday here as a child with mother Hinemoa Elder and stepdad Paul Holmes. She believes it was always supposed to be part of her life.
"I've found a huge part of myself here, and I'm still discovering more. It was almost like a homecoming. I didn't know this part of myself, and I feel really at home here – whereas I remember growing up as a child in Remuera feeling quite… displaced."
Following the murder of boyfriend Connor Morris in 2014, Millie also surprised herself by finding love again with Greek boyfriend Kostas Saripapas.
"I was really sort of opposed to it," she admits. "I thought it would be something casual – short and fun, because I was really freaked out about relationship stuff. I thought I wasn't ready."
At 30, and having experienced more than most will in a lifetime, Millie says her biggest lesson from her new Greek life has come from her dad: take your time.
"I've come to understand that there is a completely different way of living, and it's not the fast-paced Auckland life that I was accustomed to. I've learnt to slow down, and take my time. Because everything that's meant for me is going to come, at some point."
Photographs: Aleksandr Chalcev. Hair and makeup: Elina Zakharova
- FamilyHappy birthday Neve! New Zealand's First Baby turns one!
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- FitnessAdele’s taken up a new healthy hobby and it’s helped her lose more than 6kg
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- RelationshipsOlympic rower Emma Twigg's whirlwind proposal: 'When you know, you know'
Woman's DayToday 10:00am
- FitnessSilver Swans: the ballet class for dancers aged 55-plus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:15am
- CompetitionsBe in to win the trip of a lifetime to Italy with Jo Seagar!
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsMike Tindall makes the Queen laugh when he reveals what's hiding under his top hat
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RoyalsA woman is in hospital after an accident involving Prince William and Duchess Catherine's royal convoy
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Real LifeJoyous news! Sub title technology for the hearing impaired is being trialled at NZ cinemas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsRoyal ladies in blue! See all the gorgeous outfits from the first day of Royal Ascot 2019
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- MindGemma McCaw's 6 steps to being confident in your own skin
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- BodyWhy entering middle-age is actually the perfect time to get your health back on track
Good Health ChoicesJun 18, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has opened up about the ‘joy’ of adopting rescue animals
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019
- TVCan Matty McLean surprise us all and last the distance on Celebrity Treasure Island?
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019