On Friday news broke that Jacinda Ardern and Clarke Gayford had become engaged, and so the question on everyone's lips since then has been, did Gayford propose?
Ardern had responded with an emphatic no to a BBC reporter's question in January, 'would you propose to your partner, Clarke Gayford?'.
She'd said that would be letting Gayford "off the hook".
She had wanted to put Gayford through "the pain and torture of having to agonise about that question himself."
We now know the answer to that question. In a press conference today, Ardern revealed that yes, Gayford did propose to her.
He popped the question over Easter while the couple were on a break in Mahia, a small settlement on the East Coast, in Hawke's Bay. Gayford's family owns a bach in Mahia.
The couple were enjoying the view from the top of Mokotahi hill in Mahia at the time.
Ardern revealed, "There was Clarke, myself and a member of the DPS (security staff)... also a couple of locals from Mahia and a dog which tried to eat the chocolate that Clarke bought me," Ardern said.
When Ardern was asked if Clarke had gone down on bended knee, she replied, "Well I can tell you... that the DPS were up there and they had no idea, I don't think, what had happened so that should be a bit of a giveaway."
The engagement ring belonged to Clarke's grandmother.
Ardern says there was no intention to "hide" their engagement from the public. The fact that she wore the ring on her middle finger was more a practicality. It was too small to fit on her wedding finger.
The couple have made no plans for their wedding as of yet, Ardern said. She said the proposal came as a surprise.
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayToday 3:15pm
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsThe caring gesture that no one saw: How Duchess Catherine consoled Duchess Meghan at Wimbledon
Now To LoveYesterday 10:06am
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayYesterday 10:00am
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- TVHayley Holt reveals who her dream co-host would be and dishes on how work has affected her dating life
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayJul 16, 2019