On Friday news broke that Jacinda Ardern and Clarke Gayford had become engaged, and so the question on everyone's lips since then has been, did Gayford propose?
Ardern had responded with an emphatic no to a BBC reporter's question in January, 'would you propose to your partner, Clarke Gayford?'.
She'd said that would be letting Gayford "off the hook".
She had wanted to put Gayford through "the pain and torture of having to agonise about that question himself."
We now know the answer to that question. In a press conference today, Ardern revealed that yes, Gayford did propose to her.
He popped the question over Easter while the couple were on a break in Mahia, a small settlement on the East Coast, in Hawke's Bay. Gayford's family owns a bach in Mahia.
The couple were enjoying the view from the top of Mokotahi hill in Mahia at the time.
Ardern revealed, "There was Clarke, myself and a member of the DPS (security staff)... also a couple of locals from Mahia and a dog which tried to eat the chocolate that Clarke bought me," Ardern said.
When Ardern was asked if Clarke had gone down on bended knee, she replied, "Well I can tell you... that the DPS were up there and they had no idea, I don't think, what had happened so that should be a bit of a giveaway."
The engagement ring belonged to Clarke's grandmother.
Ardern says there was no intention to "hide" their engagement from the public. The fact that she wore the ring on her middle finger was more a practicality. It was too small to fit on her wedding finger.
The couple have made no plans for their wedding as of yet, Ardern said. She said the proposal came as a surprise.
- RelationshipsThe incredible love story of this Kiwi soldier and his Slovenian heroine, who met through a barbed wire fence at a POW camp
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionFibre 101: Everything you need to know about this essential dietary component
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveYesterday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 23, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesMay 23, 2019