According to Statistics New Zealand, one in three marriages end in divorce. With that in mind, could a 10-year contract be a more realistic option for couples?
Some relationship experts say yes.
It’s all part of a growing trend of people signing decade-long marriage contracts. The couple lay out their relationship goals and financial terms should they split up and agree to stay together for 10 years. They then re-evaluate when the decade mark approaches.
Relationship expert Dr Nikki Goldstein told Daily Mail Australia: “I see people all the time that are clinging on to marriages because that's easier or the idea of being on your own or divorced is scary. They don't want to be seen to be failing, but they never stop to think ‘why isn't it working for us?’.”
The paper spoke to Sydney bride, Casey Beros, who chose to omit ‘til death do us part from her marriage vows.
“My intention was to focus on making the relationship good now, rather than promising forever, crossing our fingers and throwing caution to the wind,” she told Daily Mail Australia.
"It's not to go against the sanctity of marriage, but honouring our right to make our own rules.”
Dr Goldstein added it is positive to allow couples to make their own rules when it comes to marriage, and suggested a contract could prevent divorce rather than encouraging break-ups.
- BodyOlivia Newton-John is battling cancer for the third time - why she's not letting it get her down
Good Health ChoicesToday 11:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019