We know, there are much more worthy subjects that scientists could be researching, but equally, we are intrigued.
Haven't you always wondered if your cat enjoys listening to your playlist as much as you do? Do they prefer classical over heavy metal, hiphop over easy listening? Or maybe none of these? It's kind of hard to tell.
Well, wonder no more because scientists now have the answers to these burning questions.
First, the bad news: A 2015 study, published in Applied Animal Behaviour, found that pet cats don't care much for our music (any genre) at all.
But on the upside, scientists have developed "cat-centric" music that they say kitties think is purrfect.
They didn't actually use the term "purrfect", but they did observe 47 domestic cats' reactions after listening to the cat music they created.
Apparently, the cats became so excited they approached the speakers and rubbed their scent glands (found in their cheeks) on them — meaning they were trying to claim the speakers for themselves. When researchers compared this extreme reaction to the ho-hum response kitties gave after hearing "human-centric" music, the clear winner was cat-centric.
"We looked at the natural vocalisations of cats and matched our music to the same frequency range, which is about an octave or more higher than human voices," lead author Charles Snowdon said in an interview with Discovery News.
"And since cats use lots of sliding frequencies in their calls, the cat music had many more sliding notes than the human music."
Adorably enough, this research could offer a possible way of keeping cats calm in places where they might be anxious — like a shelter or at the vet. But we have to say that right now, we're super curious to try this tune out on our own cats at home to see how they respond.
Think your cat would like this "music"? Why not play the Connecticut Public Radio/WNPR 24-second cat music video below and see for yourself?
Via Women's World
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019