Host your own SPCA Cupcake Day event
Kimberley’s Black Forest Cupcakes
- ½ cup black cherries
- from 425g can (reserve the juice), plus ½ cup of the syrup
- 165g butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- 11/3 cups caster sugar
- ¼ cup cherry brandy
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- Whipped cream, chocolate shavings and extra cherries to serve
2. Process the first measure of cherries and syrup in a food processor to make a purée, then set aside.
3. Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, cherry brandy and cherry purée in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter and chocolate have both melted. Transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool down for about 20 minutes.
4. Fold in the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Whisk the egg, then add to the mixture. Divide mixture among cupcake cases.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. Place cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely. Top each muffin with whipped cream, then grate over chocolate and place extra cherries on top.