to the district.”
Social media may be awash with cute cat videos and kitten memes, but Instagram has gone to the dogs when it comes to Paikea the police dog!
Under the handle @k9_paikea, the adorable 11-month-old German shepherd has more than 5400 followers on the picture-sharing platform – and he’s “quite the little superstar” in public too, according to his trainer, Constable Regan Mauheni.
A member of the Armed Offenders Squad, the Invercargill-born officer, 31, was shot in the head in a high-profile siege in Kawerau in March and needed emergency surgery to remove shrapnel lodged in his brain. “Yeah, that was definitely a bad day at the office,” quips Regan.
Afterwards, the award-winning dog handler transferred to Dunedin and was forced to leave behind his beloved canine Buck. “That was super-sad,” tells Regan.
“Because we live with the dogs 24/7, they’re our constant companions and we get massively attached to them, but they’re police resources, so they belong
to the district.”
to the district.”
However, in Dunedin, Regan met Paikea and the pair have been inseparable ever since. Regan grins, “He’s my best mate. He’s a real cool wee fella, a pleasure to be around. He cruises around with me in the car and comes home with me at the end of the day. He comes to the beach and the gym. He’s one of the family.”
Paikea’s Instagram profile – which follows him from an eight-week-old bundle of naughtiness to an almost-qualified Armed Offenders Squad dog – began as a recuperation project for Regan, as well as a way of removing barriers between police and the public.
But Paikea is also a hit while out on the street in Dunedin. His proud handler says, “People come over to tell me they follow him on Instagram. Most people wouldn’t come and speak to a six-foot-four cop in a café otherwise!”
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveToday 1:23pm
- RoyalsA royal reporter reveals the job Prince Harry once dreamed of before he met Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveToday 11:55am
- TVLaura Daniel joins Seven Sharp team as special correspondent
Now To LoveToday 11:04am
- Expert AdviceKids' back-to-school worries and how you can help to ease them
Now To LoveToday 9:08am
- FamilyCelebrated artist Dame Louise Henderson's lost paintings and her daughter's mission to track them down
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- CareerWhy Olivia Newton-John's damehood holds extra significance
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:50am
- TVBachelorette Lesina Nakhid-Schuster lets us in on her reasons for joining the show
Woman's DayToday 8:15am
- RoyalsTwo of Archie’s godparents have been revealed to be Prince Harry’s closest childhood mentors
Now To LoveYesterday 3:30pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry reveals he felt 'there was no option' but to leave royal life
Now To LoveYesterday 11:18am
- RoyalsMike and Zara Tindall open up about family life and why they consider Australia their 'second home'
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- Diet & NutritionWhich diet would work best for you according to your personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 8:00am
- CareerArchie's beanie: Meet the Kiwi women whose business has been transformed thanks to one royal post
Woman's DayYesterday 7:30am
- MindParalympian Sophie Pascoe opens up about her two-year private battle and why she tries to stay real on social media
Good Health ChoicesJan 19, 2020
- Body8 Kiwi stars reveal their health, fitness and wellbeing goals for 2020
Good Health ChoicesJan 18, 2020
- MindHow to live a life less rushed: savouring the good times
NEXTJan 18, 2020
- CareerBrendan Cole's new X-Factor Celebrity gig and why he's happy to have the tables turned
Woman's DayJan 18, 2020