Ditch the plastic wrap
Instead of wrapping school lunches in plastic wrap which you can’t reuse, opt for Ziploc bags as they can be washed and reused. Also look out for lunchboxes with separate compartments for snacks and yoghurt, so you just wash and reuse instead of throwing away paper, plastic wrap and plastic containers every day. You could have a look around Japanese supply stores for Bento boxes – a fun alternative to normal plastic lunchboxes.
Buy a BPA free drink bottle
Make sure your child always has access to fresh water by getting them a drink bottle. You can pop it in the freezer the night before and by the time they get to school they will have lovely cold water to sip. Make sure it is BPA free. If your child likes to drink juice, dilute it 50/50 with water to reduce the sugar content and pour it into their bottle instead of packing juice cartons.
Resist individual packaging
It’s tempting to buy those little individually packaged chips and biscuits, but you will be saving a lot of landfill if you buy one big bag of chips and doll out single serves into their lunchboxes.
Refillable pens and pencils
Seek out pens and pencils which have refill cartridges rather than buying disposable tools.
Recyclable exercise books
Make sure you buy paper notebooks and exercise books which are labelled as 100% recyclable.
Walk, cycle or bus
Instead of driving your children around the corner to school, walk with them or enrol them in a Walking Bus where one parent will shepherd several kids to school safely. If your child is older, consider buying them a bike to ride to school and if you are a long way from school, look into local buses. You’ll be reducing your carbon footprint and your child will learn to socialise with local kids and make new friends.
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019