Ditch the plastic wrap
Instead of wrapping school lunches in plastic wrap which you can’t reuse, opt for Ziploc bags as they can be washed and reused. Also look out for lunchboxes with separate compartments for snacks and yoghurt, so you just wash and reuse instead of throwing away paper, plastic wrap and plastic containers every day. You could have a look around Japanese supply stores for Bento boxes – a fun alternative to normal plastic lunchboxes.
Buy a BPA free drink bottle
Make sure your child always has access to fresh water by getting them a drink bottle. You can pop it in the freezer the night before and by the time they get to school they will have lovely cold water to sip. Make sure it is BPA free. If your child likes to drink juice, dilute it 50/50 with water to reduce the sugar content and pour it into their bottle instead of packing juice cartons.
Resist individual packaging
It’s tempting to buy those little individually packaged chips and biscuits, but you will be saving a lot of landfill if you buy one big bag of chips and doll out single serves into their lunchboxes.
Refillable pens and pencils
Seek out pens and pencils which have refill cartridges rather than buying disposable tools.
Recyclable exercise books
Make sure you buy paper notebooks and exercise books which are labelled as 100% recyclable.
Walk, cycle or bus
Instead of driving your children around the corner to school, walk with them or enrol them in a Walking Bus where one parent will shepherd several kids to school safely. If your child is older, consider buying them a bike to ride to school and if you are a long way from school, look into local buses. You’ll be reducing your carbon footprint and your child will learn to socialise with local kids and make new friends.
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesFeb 17, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveFeb 17, 2019