1) Take showers rather than baths. A short shower uses much less water, so set an egg timer in your bathroom to keep an eye on how long you are in there.
2) Fit a low-flow shower head – this could save you litres of water for every minute you’re in the shower. A good shower should take a minute or longer to fill a 10L bucket.
3) Use energy-saving bulbs throughout your home and always turn lights off when you leave a room.
4) Don’t leave appliances on standby. If you can see the standby light glowing, it’s still using up electricity.
5) Use cold water for washing your laundry – this will save you up to a whopping 90% in running costs.
6) Insulate your ceiling – lack of insulation can account for 40-60% of heat loss. Glass fibre insulation is a cost-effective way to keep your heating bill down. Check if you’re eligible for an insulation subsidy at energywise.govt.nz
7) Only run your dishwasher and washing machine when you have a full load.
8) Ensure your fridge and freezer doors are well sealed – the fridge should run at regular intervals, not continuously.
9) Be smart about heating during winter. Use a heater sparingly, and only when curtains and doors are closed. Make sure all internal doors to areas not in use are also closed.
10) Line dry clothes, or use an indoor clotheshorse in bad weather. If you do use a dryer, ensure clothes are as dry as possible – use the fast spin cycle if appropriate.
- SkincareAll you need to know about retinol and anti-ageing ingredients
Now To LoveMay 06, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayMay 05, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021