Amber Peebles lives in a newly renovated 1950s home in Mt Albert, Auckland, with her husband Brooke Howard-Smith and Maltese toy poodle-cross Coco Bear.
With a fresh coat of Resene 'Black White' and plenty of carefully considered furnishings, the living area, with open plan kitchen and dining zones, is the perfect place for this homebody to enjoy her family's and her friend's company.
While her wardrobe is filled with the latest fashions, her decor is more timeless – "mixing style with comfort is the goal," she says.
We've been here for eight months, I'd say about five months of that we were pretty busy with the renovation so it's nice to start the fun decorating process. The downstairs is a lot larger than we are used to but it all flows in together and I love it.
I'm quite affected by the style of the house. I'm really inspired by this place, which gives me major retro vibes but it's important to keep it fresh. I've tried to seek out a real mix of old treasures and new finds here. I found the cabinet at our local retro goods store – I love that that's a thing – called Retro Addiction. It was such a bargain – all we had to do was add legs to it (which we found from a guy north of Auckland who makes them). And I have to say, I love a Trade Me trawl. It's amazing the goodies you find!
Drink wine and cook with my husband or drink wine and catch up with friends… there's a theme forming! I'm such a homebody so I love to have a space that people can visit. I think there's a balance of having generously sized areas for hosting but being aware of furniture placement is important so it still feels intimate.
I'm currently pretty excited about our living area. We have quite a complicated shelving unit and needed to adjust one of the frames to fit in our new TV, the Samsung Frame, so it looks like art when it's turned off! I'm still pretty pumped about that. I just don't love the look of TVs so I'm really excited with how it's all coming together!
I fell in love with a decorative shell in Australia, very similar to the one currently holding my lemons. I didn't buy it, and kicked myself when I got home, but I then found this one at Superette down the road and it was cheaper! Haha, small wins. I also have a few pieces of my mother-in-law's art, which is really special.
The walls are Resene 'Black White'. I love white on white and admittedly this is the third place we have renovated and painted with it. It's a really easy white to live with.
I think I'll always make small tweaks if I find pieces that may work better but we have only just started to climb out of renovation mess so time will tell how itchy my palms get.
Both! I usually save anywhere I can – specifically so I can splurge when I need to.
Via our sister site Homes To Love.
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals one of Prince Louis’ surprising first words
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice’s sweet text to Ellie Goulding about their friendship was revealed on TV
Now To LoveToday 10:40am
- FamilyParaplegic dad's joy: The newborn son we never thought we'd have
Woman's DayToday 9:45am
- CareerHow footwear designer Kathryn Wilson uses her Samsung Galaxy Note10+ for work and play
Now To LoveToday 9:42am
- CompetitionsWin a gum health prize pack with Oral B and NZ Woman’s Weekly!
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- RelationshipsJay-Jay Feeney's hot new romance: 'Meet my toyboy lover'
Woman's DayToday 8:10am
- MindWhy procrastination can be more harmful than we think - and what we can do about it
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- RelationshipsWho was Lezlie Manukian? The Californian girl who swindled a Kiwi family out of their life savings
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyChristmas with the stars: How Laura McGoldrick will be spending the holidays
Woman's DayYesterday 7:55am
- PetsCaring for elderly pets (the trick is to think of them as furry grandparents)
Now To LoveDec 13, 2019
- SkincareThe surprising benefits of caffeine for your skin and body
Now To LoveDec 13, 2019
- BodyPerimenopause: the 'change before the change' explained
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 13, 2019