Amber Peebles lives in a newly renovated 1950s home in Mt Albert, Auckland, with her husband Brooke Howard-Smith and Maltese toy poodle-cross Coco Bear.
With a fresh coat of Resene 'Black White' and plenty of carefully considered furnishings, the living area, with open plan kitchen and dining zones, is the perfect place for this homebody to enjoy her family's and her friend's company.
While her wardrobe is filled with the latest fashions, her decor is more timeless – "mixing style with comfort is the goal," she says.
We've been here for eight months, I'd say about five months of that we were pretty busy with the renovation so it's nice to start the fun decorating process. The downstairs is a lot larger than we are used to but it all flows in together and I love it.
I'm quite affected by the style of the house. I'm really inspired by this place, which gives me major retro vibes but it's important to keep it fresh. I've tried to seek out a real mix of old treasures and new finds here. I found the cabinet at our local retro goods store – I love that that's a thing – called Retro Addiction. It was such a bargain – all we had to do was add legs to it (which we found from a guy north of Auckland who makes them). And I have to say, I love a Trade Me trawl. It's amazing the goodies you find!
Drink wine and cook with my husband or drink wine and catch up with friends… there's a theme forming! I'm such a homebody so I love to have a space that people can visit. I think there's a balance of having generously sized areas for hosting but being aware of furniture placement is important so it still feels intimate.
I'm currently pretty excited about our living area. We have quite a complicated shelving unit and needed to adjust one of the frames to fit in our new TV, the Samsung Frame, so it looks like art when it's turned off! I'm still pretty pumped about that. I just don't love the look of TVs so I'm really excited with how it's all coming together!
I fell in love with a decorative shell in Australia, very similar to the one currently holding my lemons. I didn't buy it, and kicked myself when I got home, but I then found this one at Superette down the road and it was cheaper! Haha, small wins. I also have a few pieces of my mother-in-law's art, which is really special.
The walls are Resene 'Black White'. I love white on white and admittedly this is the third place we have renovated and painted with it. It's a really easy white to live with.
I think I'll always make small tweaks if I find pieces that may work better but we have only just started to climb out of renovation mess so time will tell how itchy my palms get.
Both! I usually save anywhere I can – specifically so I can splurge when I need to.
Via our sister site Homes To Love.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am