If variety is the spice of life, no-one knows how to spice up the festive season like New Zealanders.
Our tastes and traditions are hugely diverse.
We all agree it's a game of two halves – Christmas, then New Year's – but each whanau plays by their own rules when it comes to adding character to their home and deciding how to celebrate the season.
Whether you and your family are planning a fancy al fresco feast, or emulating the northern hemisphere (hoping for a day playing board games in your PJs), The Warehouse is the place to go for Christmas inspiration, with everything you need to get you in the holiday spirit.
Wonderland summer yule tree decoration wooden character, $2
One of our favourite decorating trends this year is summer yule. The colours are bright and breezy, combining pastel green-blues with deeper teal, which are complemented by silver metallics and wood detail.
Hessian and feathers are key components of this style, which embraces the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi and adds a little warmth to the Scandinavian aesthetic.
Wonderland summer yule Christmas block tree 40cm, $12 and Wonderland MDF slot together Reindeer with glitter antlers
Despite remnants of a traditional icey Christmas feel, The Warehouse brings this trend home with summery Kiwi elements such as stylised pōhutukawa and retro caravans.
Wonderland summer yule decoration set blue white silver 102 pack, $35
'Tis the season for reconnecting with family and friends, and nothing sets the scene better than a carefully crafted Christmas dinner table.
With a little time and thought – and a few finishing touches – it's easy to achieve a festive and inviting setting. Here are a few helpful hints to get you started.
1. Begin with what you've got. Your own flowers, foliage, tabletop or tablecloth can provide the starting point for building your own unique style, and will guide your selection of ornaments, crockery and glassware.
2. Keep it simple. Create a calm, uncluttered look by limiting your palette to a few key colours. Aim for complementary materials and choose crockery in similar shapes.
Clockwise from top left: Living & Co Jade Napkin Set 45cm x 45cm 4 Pack $8.00, Living & Co Paddle Serve Board Rectangle $15.00, Living & Co Napkin Ring Set 4 Pack Gold $8.00, Living & Co Luxe Glass Tumblers 260ml 4 Pack $10.00, Living & Co Verve Glass Carafe 1.7L $15.00, Living & Co Neo Cutlery Set 16 Piece $20.00
3. Go for gold with the centrepiece. Christmas comes but once a year so splash out with something truly eye-catching.
Living & Co Candelabra 25cm x 25cm Gold $14.00
4. It's the little things that count. Pay attention to the tone and texture of every item you include. Embellish your table with small ornaments or add a little treat to each setting for that all-important personal touch.
The Warehouse makes classy tableware affordable. From stunning centrepieces and lovely linen to elegant cutlery, it's your one-stop shop for holiday hosting.
Drop into a store or visit thewarehouse.co.nz to view the range.
- SkincareAll you need to know about retinol and anti-ageing ingredients
Now To LoveMay 06, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Patrick and Belinda: 'Pat will make a great Dad!'
Woman's DayMay 05, 2021
- Married at First SightMAFS Bryce & Melissa: 'We're getting our own show!'
Woman's DayMay 04, 2021
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021