As a features editor with a focus on sustainability, Fiona lives and breathes the green lifestyle; she collects the soft plastics for her work team – taking them to the supermarket to recycle when the box gets full, picks up litter on the street or beach if it crosses her path and always tries to give unwanted items a new lease of life before they get relegated to the rubbish bin.
For Fiona, actions like these are second nature and her environmentally conscious tips are endless. Here are a few of her favourite, easy-to-adopt habits for living more sustainably.
"I shop second hand or buy ethically made pieces to try to reduce waste from the clothing industry and ensure I'm not supporting unethical manufacturing conditions. I borrow and swap clothes with friends and family and frequent op-shops, vintage stores and flea markets. When I get sick of my clothes, I donate them to charity. When donating your pre-loved clothing, make sure your pieces are in good condition to ensure the charity doesn't have to pay to dispose of them if they're unsellable."
"I try to remember to ask for no straw when I order a drink at a café or restaurant as for me, personally, straws are such small, unnecessary pieces of single-use plastic that can easily end up in the ocean. I have my own reusable aluminium straw for those times when a straw is 'essential'."
"When I can, I take my own reusable container to get sushi or takeaways, and carry my own cutlery and reusable drink bottle. If I don't have a cup or container on me, I go #toplessforthesea – ask for no lid, that is! You have to always be on your toes to try and cut down on waste."
"When my husband and I got married last year, we tried to make the event as sustainable as possible. My dress and much of my husband's ensemble were bought second-hand from Trade Me, the vases and napkins were vintage or borrowed and we avoided buying anything disposable. We even made sure our beer and wine was sourced from local suppliers. Kegs for the beer helped to reduce our waste, too."
Brushing our teeth is a habit ingrained in us long ago, so make it a more sustainable practice with ecostore's new oral care range. ecostore toothpaste and mouthwash uses naturally derived ingredients to help reduce plaque, prevent tartar build-up and protect against germs that cause bad breath
The ecostore oral care range is available now in supermarkets nationwide, from $4.99.
- Married at First SightMAFS' Vicky Fuller and Stefaan Nes have broken up - again
Now To LoveToday 2:18pm
- Parenting NewsGlobal study shows Kiwi teenagers are among the most inactive in the world
Now To LoveToday 1:22pm
- RoyalsThe sweet and subtle way Duchess Meghan honoured Prince Harry and baby Archie
Now To LoveToday 12:05pm
- TVMatty McLean had a huge night after winning Television Personality of the Year
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- FitnessThe full-body workout you can do with just a park bench
Good Health ChoicesToday 9:20am
- Pregnancy & Birth'Our Halloween treat': Jessica Mutch-McKay presents her adorable baby girl to the world
Now To LoveYesterday 4:13pm
- RelationshipsMatilda Green serves cheeky burn to husband Art on social media
Now To LoveYesterday 2:40pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles says New Zealand ‘offers an example to the world’ in a heartfelt speech at Waitangi
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerFive things Stephen Colbert has taught us about our own Prime Minister
Now To LoveYesterday 9:45am
- RoyalsPrince Andrew has stepped back from public royal duties for the foreseeable future
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerWhat Charlie's Angels original Jaclyn Smith is up to now
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- WeddingsFormer Black Cap Simon Doull marries after a whirlwind courtship that began at a hospital bedside
Woman's DayYesterday 8:25am
- CareerA virus left me paralysed but it didn't stop me from having a career in netball
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin the new NutriBullet 1000W Blender Combo worth $299.99!
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 7:00am
- BodyBalcony fall survivor AJ Pouoa: 'How a night at a friend's house left me paralysed'
Woman's DayNov 20, 2019
- PetsCelebrities and their pets: Dominic Harvey and Sydney silkie Kanye
Woman's DayNov 19, 2019