For working mum Laura Byrne, life is all about a balance of trying to do the right thing, without making daily tasks onerous.
She and her husband and their six-year-old son are a "typical Kiwi family" she says. Living in Point Chevalier in Auckland, they enjoy exploring the neighbourhood on their bikes, hitting the beach in summer and making the most of the local amenities.
Laura has recently begun brewing her own kombucha and has brought beehives onto their property as a way of increasing the bee population in their area.
"My rule of thumb for household products, which I also apply to food I buy, is that if I'm unsure of what the ingredients are, I'll try to stay away. I've switched all my cleaning and body products to ecostore, because it's an easy way to do it. It started when I was pregnant with my son – I was looking for products that are less harsh on the body and the environment without having to make things from scratch myself."
"We're a one-car family and my husband bought an e-bike a year ago. He's just about paid it off through savings on bus fares and it now takes him 17 minutes to commute from door-to-door, whereas the bus took 40 minutes. Plus, going to and from work every day he gets exercise that he wouldn't have otherwise."
Brushing our teeth is a habit ingrained in us long ago, so make it a more sustainable practice with ecostore's new oral care range. ecostore toothpaste and mouthwash uses naturally derived ingredients including magnolia bark extract and Kanuka oil to freshen and clean, and protect against germs that cause bad breath. The mouthwash packaging is made from plant plastic – as is the toothbrush – ensuring they are safer for you and the planet.
The ecostore oral care range is available now in supermarkets nationwide, from $4.99.
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019