When it comes to longevity, we've heard it all. From whiskey to wine to Diet Coke, it seems like everyone has their own "secret" to living the good life for a long, long time. Now, 100-year-old San Diego resident Matilda Curcia is crediting her long life to potato chips and beer. That's right: good ol' greasy potato crisps and a hearty glass of hops.
"I've experienced good health," Curcia told NBC 7. "I have no pain and do my exercises every day. And have my beer. Eat my potato chips. That's about all."
Both Curcia and her best friend, who she calls Mickey, celebrated their 100th year together with a huge birthday blowout that included a variety of big gold, blue, and hot pink balloons all in the shape of the number "100."
Family and friends joined the duo for the sweet occasion, which was held Saturday, March 3. - It turns out that Mickey and Curcia have been beating the odds and celebrating their birthday together for nearly half a century.
Like a tale straight out of a movie, the pair moved into the Allied Gardens neighborhood around the same time and live just four doors away from one another.
In spite of their age, they still ride bikes together and go on brisk walks. Mickey, who worked as a military nurse during World War II, still has the same joyful and upbeat laugh she did when she was younger.
"I've been a general duty nurse for a long time and then World War II started and I signed up right away to go overseas," Mickey said of her younger self. "I went to different parts where they were really fighting."
Who knows? Maybe chips and beer are the keys to a long life, though we'd like to think it's having a tight group of friends and a loving family that does the trick.
Either way, we're rooting for Mickey and Curcia. Here's to many more years of happiness — and greasy food.
This article originally appeared on Woman's World.
- BodyHayley Holt opens up about how sobriety has positively affected her life and made her braver and stronger
Good Health ChoicesToday 8:30am
- CareerMean Mums' Anna Jullienne: What she's learned about raising boys, and other fun facts
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019