Searching for a snack that won't leave you diving for the biscuit tin 10 minutes later? Walnuts could be the answer.
According to a new study, eating a handful of walnuts a day can suppress hunger and make you feel fuller for longer.
Research from the University of Georgia indicated that the nut contains high amounts of polyunsaturated fats which prevent overeating. These polyunsaturated fats dial down the hunger hormone and increase feelings of fullness.
Nutritionist Professor Jamie Cooper explains, "Appetite hormones play an important role in regulating how much we eat. These findings tell us that eating foods rich in polyunsaturated fats, like those found in walnuts, may favourably change appetite hormones so we can feel fuller for longer."
Their study recorded hormone level changes among 26 young men and women. They were given a diet rich in polyunsaturated fats for one week, and a diet rich in saturated fats for another, and the differences were compared.
When they spent a week eating a diet rich in polyunsaturated fats they had a significant decrease in the hormone that increases hunger, and a similar increase in the hormone that increases fullness.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019