Cook time: 25–30 minutes
500g Jazz Apples, cored & thinly sliced
2 tbsp water
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup water
50g unsalted butter
½ cup cream
1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
1 ¾ cups Harraways Rolled Oats
¾ cup Freshlife Natural Cashews, chopped
¼ cup flour
⅓ cup brown sugar
50g butter, cubed and at room temperature
Scoops of Killinchy Gold dairy free ice cream; Salted Caramel & Cashew
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan bake).
- For the salted caramel sauce: Add sugar and water to a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add butter, whisk and bring to a boil. Stop whisking and wait for the mix to turn an amber colour (watching carefully that it does not burn, tilting the saucepan occasionally prevents this) – it may take up to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, slowly pour in the cream and whisk vigorously until combined (be careful as it may splatter). Add salt to your desired saltiness, whisk, then set aside to cool slightly.
- For the crumble topping: Place oats, flour and brown sugar in a large bowl. Using your fingers, rub in the butter until well combined. Add cashews and mix well. Set aside.
- To assemble: Toss apple slices with water and half of the salted caramel sauce. Place in the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish. Scatter crumble mix on top.
- Bake for 25-30 mins, until the apple is cooked and crumble is golden and crunchy.
- Serve hot with salted caramel sauce, a sprinkling of roasted cashews and a generous scoop of ice cream. Yum!
Tip 2: If the sides of the crumble start to brown too quickly, place tin foil over those areas.