In Japan it's a bento box and in France, a baguette or omelette, but in New Zealand the lunchtime staple has always been the trusty sandwich (especially when it comes to school lunchboxes).
And while we all have our own ideas about which toppings make the perfect sandwich a new study by Farmland Foods has revealed what the nation's favourite sandwich toppings are.
They might surprise you - we've certainly moved on from the days of Marmite on white bread!
They are... lettuce and avocado.
Almost 900 people were surveyed and salad came out on top (66 per cent). Avocado followed closely behind at 58 per cent then tomato (51 per cent) and chicken (44 per cent). We are a healthy bunch!
The top 10 also included ham, bacon, chutneys and relishes and cheese.
Least favourite toppings were tuna, beetroot and cucumber because they make the bread go soggy (fair point).
The sandwich bread of choice proved to be multi-grain and only one in 10 favoured white bread (see what we mean).
Rye, sourdough and gluten-free breads were also mentioned, demonstrating the increasing diversity of bread types and Kiwis' tastes (and food intolerances).
Meanwhile, a whopping 93 per cent said the crusts should be left on - because eating your crusts makes your hair curly, of course.
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveToday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveToday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveToday 11:19am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveYesterday 2:28pm
- RoyalsPrince William and Prince Harry are reportedly splitting their royal household after 10 years together
Now To LoveYesterday 12:15pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 17, 2019