In Japan it's a bento box and in France, a baguette or omelette, but in New Zealand the lunchtime staple has always been the trusty sandwich (especially when it comes to school lunchboxes).
And while we all have our own ideas about which toppings make the perfect sandwich a new study by Farmland Foods has revealed what the nation's favourite sandwich toppings are.
They might surprise you - we've certainly moved on from the days of Marmite on white bread!
They are... lettuce and avocado.
Almost 900 people were surveyed and salad came out on top (66 per cent). Avocado followed closely behind at 58 per cent then tomato (51 per cent) and chicken (44 per cent). We are a healthy bunch!
The top 10 also included ham, bacon, chutneys and relishes and cheese.
Least favourite toppings were tuna, beetroot and cucumber because they make the bread go soggy (fair point).
The sandwich bread of choice proved to be multi-grain and only one in 10 favoured white bread (see what we mean).
Rye, sourdough and gluten-free breads were also mentioned, demonstrating the increasing diversity of bread types and Kiwis' tastes (and food intolerances).
Meanwhile, a whopping 93 per cent said the crusts should be left on - because eating your crusts makes your hair curly, of course.
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020