In Japan it's a bento box and in France, a baguette or omelette, but in New Zealand the lunchtime staple has always been the trusty sandwich (especially when it comes to school lunchboxes).
And while we all have our own ideas about which toppings make the perfect sandwich a new study by Farmland Foods has revealed what the nation's favourite sandwich toppings are.
They might surprise you - we've certainly moved on from the days of Marmite on white bread!
They are... lettuce and avocado.
Almost 900 people were surveyed and salad came out on top (66 per cent). Avocado followed closely behind at 58 per cent then tomato (51 per cent) and chicken (44 per cent). We are a healthy bunch!
The top 10 also included ham, bacon, chutneys and relishes and cheese.
Least favourite toppings were tuna, beetroot and cucumber because they make the bread go soggy (fair point).
The sandwich bread of choice proved to be multi-grain and only one in 10 favoured white bread (see what we mean).
Rye, sourdough and gluten-free breads were also mentioned, demonstrating the increasing diversity of bread types and Kiwis' tastes (and food intolerances).
Meanwhile, a whopping 93 per cent said the crusts should be left on - because eating your crusts makes your hair curly, of course.
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyApr 22, 2019