With food allergies and intolerances on the rise never has there been such an interest in recipes that use ingredients which are gentler on the digestive system. If you have a family member who is coeliac or allergic to or intolerant of wheat, these little gluten-free Christmas cakes will mean they don't have to miss out on the tradition of sharing Christmas cake this festive season.
Prep and cook time: 2 1/2 Hours (plus cooling time)
1) Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line the base and sides of six deep 9cm round cake pans with three layers of baking paper, extending paper 4cm above the edge of the pans.
2) Combine fruit mix, dates, jam, rinds, spices and ginger beer in a large bowl. Stand for 30 minutes.
3) Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in almond meal and combined sifted flours, then fruit mix.
4) Spoon the cake mixture into prepared pans; smooth the tops. Cover the tops generously with the nuts. Bake for about 1½ -2 hours or until a thin-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5) Brush the tops of the cakes with rum. Snip edges of baking paper to fold over cakes. Cover hot cakes tightly with foil; wrap in clean tea towels. Cool the cakes in pans overnight. Turn cakes out. Remove paper. Brush cakes with extra rum, if desired.
6) Store in an airtight container. Decorate cakes with ribbon and wrap in cellophane or place in gift boxes just before giving.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Photography by John Paul Urizar, Styling by Michele Cranston
- RoyalsInside a play date with Prince George and Princess Charlotte at Kensington Palace
Now To LoveToday 3:40pm
- PetsThe online pet product delivery service that just made your life easier
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019