With food allergies and intolerances on the rise never has there been such an interest in recipes that use ingredients which are gentler on the digestive system. If you have a family member who is coeliac or allergic to or intolerant of wheat, these little gluten-free Christmas cakes will mean they don't have to miss out on the tradition of sharing Christmas cake this festive season.
Prep and cook time: 2 1/2 Hours (plus cooling time)
1) Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line the base and sides of six deep 9cm round cake pans with three layers of baking paper, extending paper 4cm above the edge of the pans.
2) Combine fruit mix, dates, jam, rinds, spices and ginger beer in a large bowl. Stand for 30 minutes.
3) Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in almond meal and combined sifted flours, then fruit mix.
4) Spoon the cake mixture into prepared pans; smooth the tops. Cover the tops generously with the nuts. Bake for about 1½ -2 hours or until a thin-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5) Brush the tops of the cakes with rum. Snip edges of baking paper to fold over cakes. Cover hot cakes tightly with foil; wrap in clean tea towels. Cool the cakes in pans overnight. Turn cakes out. Remove paper. Brush cakes with extra rum, if desired.
6) Store in an airtight container. Decorate cakes with ribbon and wrap in cellophane or place in gift boxes just before giving.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Photography by John Paul Urizar, Styling by Michele Cranston
- CompetitionsWin a Limited Edition Sacred Hill Copper Foil Print
Good Health ChoicesToday 5:00pm
- BodyCould a weighted blanket help you stress less and sleep better?
Now To LoveToday 4:15pm
- CareerWhat Kiwi actress Ginette McDonald really thinks of her daughter Kate McGill following in her footsteps
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry’s reaction to this boy not believing he’s a real royal is seriously priceless
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- FamilyHow art therapy helped us cope with the grief of losing their dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:04am
- Real LifeThe question that caused Jacinda Ardern to falter during her visit to Cashmere High School
Now To LoveYesterday 4:39pm
- FitnessThe reasons why you should also be foam rolling before you work out
Now To LoveYesterday 4:30pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine has made her first ever solo public appearance with The Queen
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Sam Wallace and his adorable new obsession - baby Brando
Woman's DayYesterday 1:50pm
- FamilyEight ways to get your kids off their screens and out into nature
Now To LoveYesterday 11:43am