With food allergies and intolerances on the rise never has there been such an interest in recipes that use ingredients which are gentler on the digestive system. If you have a family member who is coeliac or allergic to or intolerant of wheat, these little gluten-free Christmas cakes will mean they don't have to miss out on the tradition of sharing Christmas cake this festive season.
Prep and cook time: 2 1/2 Hours (plus cooling time)
1) Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line the base and sides of six deep 9cm round cake pans with three layers of baking paper, extending paper 4cm above the edge of the pans.
2) Combine fruit mix, dates, jam, rinds, spices and ginger beer in a large bowl. Stand for 30 minutes.
3) Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in almond meal and combined sifted flours, then fruit mix.
4) Spoon the cake mixture into prepared pans; smooth the tops. Cover the tops generously with the nuts. Bake for about 1½ -2 hours or until a thin-bladed knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5) Brush the tops of the cakes with rum. Snip edges of baking paper to fold over cakes. Cover hot cakes tightly with foil; wrap in clean tea towels. Cool the cakes in pans overnight. Turn cakes out. Remove paper. Brush cakes with extra rum, if desired.
6) Store in an airtight container. Decorate cakes with ribbon and wrap in cellophane or place in gift boxes just before giving.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
Photography by John Paul Urizar, Styling by Michele Cranston
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021
- RoyalsUPDATED: Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview with Oprah airs in NZ next week
Now To LoveMar 01, 2021