1 tub (1 litre) Killinchy Gold dulce de leche ice cream, softened
1 bar (80g) BluesBros blueberry chocolate, in chunks
1 tub (1 litre) Killinchy Gold chocolate hazelnut ice cream, softened
1 cup FreshLife blanched hazelnuts
1 tbsp liquid honey
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp orange zest, finely grated
100g unsalted butter, softened
100g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp grated orange zest
½ tsp salt
200g FreshLife gluten-free
2 tsp baking powder
300g caster sugar
150g egg whites
A blow torch
Kenwood Titanium Chef Patissier XL mixer
- To make the honey-roasted hazelnuts,heat oven to 170°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Toss all the ingredients together on prepared tray. Bake until lightly toasted – about 5-7 minutes.
- Loosen the hazelnuts and let cool.
- Line a 20cm (or smaller) diameter 2-litre capacity pudding basin or bowl with 3 sheets of plastic wrap.
- Add dulce de leche ice cream to your mixer. Add in chopped blueberry chocolate. Spoon into your prepared pudding bowl and smooth over the top. Add chocolate hazelnut ice cream to your mixer and blend in honey-roasted hazelnuts. Spoon into the pudding bowl (on top of ice cream), smooth over the top. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
- To make the almond flour cake base, heat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm round cake tin. Place butter, sugar and vanilla in the Kenwood standalone mixer bowl. Beat until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, while the mixer is running. Add orange zest and salt, then almond flour and baking powder. Combine well. Pour in prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan to cool completely.
- To make the meringue, heat oven to 200°C. Line a deep roasting dish with baking paper. Pour in the caster sugar and heat in the oven for about 7 minutes.
- Pour the (weighed) egg whites into a mixer and whisk slowly, allowing small bubbles to form, then increase the speed until the egg forms stiff peaks.
- Remove sugar from the oven. With the mixer on full speed, slowly add the hot sugar into the stiff egg whites, adding 1 tablespoon at a time, making sure the mixture comes back up to stiff peaks after each spoonful of sugar. Continue to whisk at full speed until the mixture is stiff and glossy (you shouldn't be able to feel the texture of the sugar between your fingers) – about 5-7 minutes.
- To assemble the Bombe Alaska, place cake on serving plate. Invert ice cream heap onto cake. Remove plastic wrap. Trim cake to the size of the ice cream heap if needed. Spread with meringue to
- cover the ice cream and cake completely. In front of guests, blow-torch the Bombe Alaska. Enjoy the delicious extravagance!
If you can't finish this extravagant dessert in one sitting, then store it in the freezer.