Instead of chucking out bread that is past its best, try these uses to make the most of it and not waste any more food than you have to.
1 Dip the bread quickly in cold water, give it a shake, then put it into a 200°C oven for eight to 10 minutes or until it is crusty and delicious.
2 Chop the bread up and fry it – it’s particularly nice fried in the fat left over from frying bacon.
3 Make breadcrumbs by cutting the crusts off, tearing each piece of bread into a couple of pieces, then whizzing them in the food processor. Store them in plastic bags in the freezer.
4 Make buttered crumbs to sprinkle over the top of fish pies or creamy vegetable dishes. Melt 50g of butter in a pot and stir in 100g of breadcrumbs. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
WATCH: How to store sandwiches
- At homeHow clean, green living can start with small day-to-day changes in the kitchen
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- TVLaura Daniel and her DWTS partner Shae Mountain get matching tattoos
Now To LoveToday 10:41am
- RoyalsPrince William was just asked how he'd feel if one of his children came out as gay
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- CareerMeet the trailblazing female shepherd who won a prestigious award previously only won by men
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:18am
- RoyalsYet another example of the harsh double standard Duchess Meghan faces
Now To LoveToday 8:15am
- RoyalsSarah, Duchess of York, is recognised with an award for her charity work
Now To LoveYesterday 12:10pm
- RoyalsHow much do the royal family spend on travel a year?
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsThe Queen just passed on this very special patronage to Duchess Catherine
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- TVThe Block NZ Firehouse contestants Sophia and Mikaere: 'We'll come out stronger than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 8:05am
- BodyA cup of coffee a day could be the secret to burning fat
Now To LoveJun 25, 2019