It's hard to believe time has passed quite so quickly, but at the end of this year Wendy Petrie will be celebrating 13 years in her role presenting 1 News each night at 6pm.
But despite being a favourite with Kiwis Wendy says she is surprised every year when her contract comes up and she still has her job.
In this week's issue of New Zealand Woman's Weekly, Wendy (46) gets candid about the role, acknowledging that it wasn't so long ago that women who reached a certain age were not welcome in TV presenting roles, but she feels that mentality has shifted. "We can all be around for much longer than turning 50!"
"We have the #metoo movement, an awareness of pay equity and I think people are finally understanding that it is really important to have veteran, experienced women on the news," says Wendy.
Wendy points to her TVNZ colleague Hilary Barry (48) hosting Seven Sharp, and the upcoming shift at Newstalk ZB which will see Weekly columnist Kerre McIvor (53) take over from Leighton Smith's morning role, as signs that times have changed.
"I think it's so important to have older women around in the workplace and I'm so lucky that my daughters are growing up thinking they can be the Prime Minister and have a baby while they're at it, or fly a plane – anything they want!" says Wendy.
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020