It's hard to believe time has passed quite so quickly, but at the end of this year Wendy Petrie will be celebrating 13 years in her role presenting 1 News each night at 6pm.
But despite being a favourite with Kiwis Wendy says she is surprised every year when her contract comes up and she still has her job.
In this week's issue of New Zealand Woman's Weekly, Wendy (46) gets candid about the role, acknowledging that it wasn't so long ago that women who reached a certain age were not welcome in TV presenting roles, but she feels that mentality has shifted. "We can all be around for much longer than turning 50!"
"We have the #metoo movement, an awareness of pay equity and I think people are finally understanding that it is really important to have veteran, experienced women on the news," says Wendy.
Wendy points to her TVNZ colleague Hilary Barry (48) hosting Seven Sharp, and the upcoming shift at Newstalk ZB which will see Weekly columnist Kerre McIvor (53) take over from Leighton Smith's morning role, as signs that times have changed.
"I think it's so important to have older women around in the workplace and I'm so lucky that my daughters are growing up thinking they can be the Prime Minister and have a baby while they're at it, or fly a plane – anything they want!" says Wendy.
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021
- RoyalsUPDATED: Harry and Meghan's bombshell interview with Oprah airs in NZ next week
Now To LoveMar 01, 2021